Want to become certified in data visualization? In this guide, we’ve covered some of the best online data visualization courses from around the web.
Almost every industry now leverages the power of data analysis to grow business. Knowing how to communicate complex statistical ideas through easy-to-understand visualizations is an asset to anyone who is looking to get ahead in their career.
It can be difficult to balance advancing your knowledge in data communication with the demands of work and your personal life. These are the best data visualization courses and certificates teach you techniques in data visualization that improve your skills on your schedule.
1. Data Visualization, Excel Charts & Graphs (Udemy)
The Udemy course Data Visualization, Excel Charts and Graphs gives you the chance to take a data visualization course specifically to increase your skills on one of the most popular and accessible data platforms – Microsoft Excel. More than 20,000 students have enrolled in this course to learn how to create and manipulate Excel charts.
Rated as a bestseller for his course, Chris Dutton is certified in Microsoft Excel and has been teaching Excel use for over a decade. He teaches students data visualization in Excel in more than 180 countries, and his data visualizations have achieved acclaim from national sources and brands, such as the New York Times. More than 60 percent of students who take this course give it a five-star rating. Out of 3200 ratings, the course averages at 4.6 out of five. You can take the course in English or Spanish with lecture videos, exercises, and data available in both languages.
- Interactive activities to develop the learning of core concepts;
- Lessons geared toward an array of skill levels from beginner to advanced;
- Tutorials for a range of charts and graphs in Excel, including heat maps, geospatial maps, box-and-whisker plots, and more;
- Access to datasets to help you learn to use charts and graphs in Excel; and,
- Permanent access to lessons.
2. Data Visualization with Advanced Excel from PwC (Coursera)
Go to Coursera to find Data Visualization with Advanced Excel to learn expert techniques in data visualizations, including dashboards. Although this course teaches advanced topics, any skill level can start this course. Coursera offers free and paid versions of the course with different levels of access depending on which version you choose. You can earn a data visualization certificate through the paid version of the course.
The international professional development company PwC offers the course. Instructor Alex Mannella teaches students on Coursera and offline at top schools at the University of California at Los Angeles and Stanford University, along with universities in Mexico and Colombia. Alex brings his experience in statistics and developing data analysis tools to help you learn techniques that you can use at your job. Students give this course a 4.8 out of five. Follow-up surveys show that 16 percent of students received a raise after taking the course and a quarter of students say that taking this course benefitted their career.
- Receive video recordings of lectures to watch on your own time;
- Have access to additional readings and quizzes to develop your knowledge in advanced Excel techniques;
- Learn the broader theories and best practices governing data visualization; and,
- Use a provided workbook to reference and reinforce your learning.
3. Data Science: Visualization from Harvard (edX)
Length: 8 Weeks
No Rating Available
You can take a course provided by Harvard University, Data Science: Visualizations, on edX. You can earn a data visualization certificate from this course alone or take all of the data visualization courses available in the certificate program from Harvard. The class lasts for a total of eight weeks, and you move at your own pace through the material. This course relies upon R, an open-source, free computing language and statistical analysis environment, to create visualizations using R package ggplot2.
It is okay if you have never heard of the platform, as the course includes an introduction for beginners. Your instructor for the course is an actual Harvard professor. Dr. Rafael Irizarry brings his experience of helping students learn statistics as a Professor of Biostatistics and Computational Biology to the data visualization course. His work focuses on statistical data involving genomes, but he has wide publications in statistics. You can enroll in the course for free or pay a fee for the certificate.
- How to use R to create advanced graphics;
- Code to produce charts with individualized color and graphics schemes;
- How to choose the correct data visualization for your data; and,
- Advanced use of the popular R package ggplot2.
4. Data Visualization with Python by IBM (Coursera)
Learn how to create expert graphics for your data using one of the top platforms in Data Visualization with Python on Coursera. Created by IBM, this data visualization course leverages data graphics with a statistical environment that computer scientists use to create their visualizations. Since the course is at the intermediate level, it is helpful if you have a beginning level of experience in data visualization and Python.
Students rate this class an average of 4.6 out of five stars, and more than 21,000 students have taken the module. Ten percent of students state a raise at work as an outcome of developing their skills with this class. You can finish the course within three weeks, including individual study time. You can opt for the free version of the course or pay for a certificate and get access to assignments and quizzes. Dr. Alex Aklson develops the course from his years of experience working for IBM and as a statistical consultant.
- Use real-world datasets to learn to create data visualizations;
- Learn to use the Matplotlib library in Python;
- Get an introduction to using pandas and developing your skill level in using Python to analyze data;
- Communicate data results using geospatial models; and,
- Gain access to video recordings and class materials.
5. Data Visualization with Tableau from UC Davis (Coursera)
School: UC Davis
Data Visualization with Tableau on Coursera teaches you how to communicate your data using one of the top platforms for creating dashboards and sharing data visualizations in business. You can join almost 25,000 other students and enroll in this data visualization specialization developed from the University of California at Davis. Aimed at beginners, the designers still assume a basic level of knowledge of data analysis.
Providing you with beyond the standard amount of material on data visualization, this certificate program takes around four months to complete dedicating six hours a week to study. It may seem like a major time investment, but it includes five courses from the basics of Tableau working toward dashboards and a capstone project to give you a tangible outcome to help you advance your career. The ratings for the courses range from 4.4 to 4.6. The three instructors for the program, Suk Brar, Govind Acharya, and Hunter Whitney, all have multiple years of experience developing data products and providing instruction in data analysis and visualization.
- Develop dashboards to tell the story of your data;
- Get to know the Tableau environment;
- Create charts, tables, maps, and graphs; and,
- Show your advanced knowledge through a final project that you can use in your portfolio.
Learning data visualization can take your career to the next level by helping you learn skills that are in high demand by employers. These data visualization courses and certifications help you earn those skills on your own time and produce tangible skills you can show your boss.