Do you want to learn how to build your own website? In this guide, we’ve listed some of the best web design courses and certification programs to help you get started.
With the rise of the internet, and millions of new websites being created each day, individuals with experience in web design are high in demand. The field of web design is diverse, offers a ton of opportunities, and is easy to get started in.
In fact, that are plenty of ways that you can gain experience and skills in building and developing websites without having to get a degree in the field. And, in this post, we’ve covered a handful of difference web design courses and certification programs you can take to help you get started in the industry. So, if you’re looking to start a career in building websites, check out the web design courses listed below.
1. Introduction to Web Development (Coursera)
School: UC Davis
Length: 15 Hours
This free web design course is offered by the University of California, Davis on Coursera. The instructor for the course is Daniel Randall, and students have stated that Randall has adequately supplied them with information about web development so that they could understand concepts. The course has an average rating of about 4.7 stars from over 600 students.
The expected duration for the course is 15 hours, and you can complete course assignments at any time since deadlines are flexible and are defined by your schedule. If you have little or no expertise in the web development field, then the course can help you learn web development concepts.
- Introduction to website functionality, structure, domains and hosting
- Exploration of HTML tags, such as images, hyperlinks and tables
- Expertise in styling websites with colors and backgrounds using CSS
2. Web Design for Everybody: Basics of Web Development & Coding Specialization (Coursera)
School: U. of Michigan
Length: 3 Months
- Creation of web pages with HTML5
- Customized web pages, font styles and layouts with CSS3 rules
3. Web Design for Beginners: Real World Coding in HTML & CSS (Udemy)
This course is one of the best web design courses that is offered on Udemy by Brad Schiff. This course has an average rating of 4.6 stars from almost 8,000 students. Students, who have taken the course, have reflected how course material was given from a technical perspective with sufficient information and explanation.
This course offers 9 hours of lecture content in video format alongside 48 resources that are available for you to download. You can access these resources indefinitely on a mobile device and on a television. Upon completion of this course, you will receive a certificate for your work.
For the duration of this course, you will learn how to structure and style web pages with HTML5 and CSS3. You will learn the basics of HTML and how to add HTML elements, such a text, forms and tables, to web pages. You will learn about HTML5 semantics and how to customize them with special effects from CSS3. You will learn Sass features and how to make web pages compatible across different browsers.
- Semantics and knowledge of HTML5 elements
- CSS3 features for styling your web page and giving special effects, such as animations and varying color schemes, to HTML5 elements
- Responsive web pages for devices of any size, including desktop computers, phones and tables
- Knowledge of Sass as a CSS extension
4. WordPress for Beginners – Master WordPress Quickly (Udemy)
Andrew Williams, who is the instructor for this course, teaches the fundamentals of WordPress on Udemy. The course has an average rating of about 4.5 stars from about 10,000 students. Former students have stated that Williams clearly communicates his thoughts and works to influence the development of knowledge in his students by answering their questions.
This online course has around 7.5 hours of lecture content with 11 articles and other resources that you can download. You can access these resources indefinitely on a mobile device and on a television. When you complete this course, you will receive a certificate for your efforts.
When you take this course, you will learn how to build your own WordPress website without subscribing to a web host, which you can do at a later time. You will understand how to construct an interactive website using WordPress features. You will acquire knowledge of WordPress plugins and how you can use your website as an affiliate site to gain an income.
- Installation of WordPress on your computer without web hosting frees.
- Knowledge of WordPress features.
- Creation of responsive and interactive WordPress pages and posts with tags and categories.
- Usage of WordPress plugins.
- Website protection and SEO optimization.
School: U. of Pennsylvania
Length: 4 weeks
No Rating Available
This free course is offered by the University of Pennsylvania on edX. Chris Murphy and Swapneel Sheth are the instructors for this course. This is a popular course on edX with over 60,000 students who have enrolled in it.
This intermediate level course is a part of the Computer Science Essentials for Software Development certification, which you can purchase. The length of the course is about four weeks, and you can complete course content when you are able to. You can purchase a certificate of completion when you finish this course.
- Assimilation of client-side and server-side frameworks for data-driven web applications.